What is Vaser Shape and how does it work?
- Vaser Shape is a non-invasive system which uses heat and ultrasound cause permanent reduction of resistant fat areas and skin tightening. An additional strategy is the temporary reduction in the appearance of cellulite – for 3-4 months.
- The heat causes openings in the outer layer of the fat cells and liquefies the inner contents of the cell. The fat is then released and absorbed by the lymphatics system to be processed and excreted by the body.
Who is a candidate for Vaser Shape and what body parts can be treated?
- Vaser shape is ideal for someone close to their goal weight but with diet and exercise resistant fat areas (belly, love handles, banana roll, etc).
- It is not for obese or very large people looking to use it as a weight loss tool.
- The ultrasound waves and heat penetrate about 2 inches deep- so those with thicker fat areas might not receive the same results as those with less than 2 inches of fat.
- VaserShape is NOT used above the collar bones.
- All patients will have a consult with a clinician prior to their initial treatment and will have been appropriately screened. (the screening/consent form is available for review and download. It is recommended that potential patients fill out the paperwork prior to their consultation)
What can I expect at the treatment?
- Change into appropriate clothing
- The treatment area(s) will be photographed
- Your lymphatics will be gently massaged prior to the use of the device.
- Oil will be placed on the treatment area – this will help for conductivity of the ultrasound/heat.
- The device will be moved over the treatment area by a technician for the designated time – including ‘warm up’ and post treatment lymphatic drainage – (expect 30-60 minutes per site) A SHMA staff member will be present during the procedure.
- Patients report a feeling of warmth and massage, which is NOT painful.
How many treatments will each area need?
- It varies – but generally 3-5 per area.
- Each treatment is scheduled approximately 7-10 days apart.
How does the cost of VaserShape compare with liposuction?
- It is significantly less – owing to the fact that there are no hospitalization fees, no anesthesia, etc.
- There is no recovery time with VaserShape. No time off of work. No need for pre-operative clearance.
- Liposuction is invasive and truly able to achieve more dramatic results than VaserShape. As such, SHMA asks you to consider which procedure, if any, is most appropriate – based on all factors, including cost.
What if I am not an appropriate candidate for VaserShape?
- The staff at SHMA are primary care providers with special training and expertise in medically managed weight loss. A comprehensive treatment plan can be devised – which may include laboratory testing, prescription pharmaceuticals, meal replacement, etc. Go to the Weight and Wellness area of this website for more information.
Can I get liposuction in the future if I get VaserShape?
- Yes. The SHMA staff works closely with several plastic surgeons in the area and can guide you as appropriate